Definition of "Shenanigan" -
"Reckless or Malicious behaviour that causes discomfort or annoyance in others" (Princeton on-line definition)
Nomination Day is arriving soon. BN will be represented by ex-Senator Wan Ahmad Farid(ex-Dep. Home Minister) from UMNO & PR by Mohd Abdul Wahid(4 term Assemblyman) from PAS. A few independents are expected to be in the chase as well hoping to throw a spanner in the works but while he is 'adding some spice to the curry' is NOT expected to make much headway...the Shenanigans is about to start (if they have not already started!...rumours are swelling that certain independent candidate will be "bought")
By-election and how they spur the local K.T. economy in these troubled times!
Again LOCAL issues will decide the day despite attempts by the MSM to drum-up or concoct national issues. Local issues are issues like:-
- Monsoon Cup & Crystal Mosque expenditure
- PAS "being in bed" with DAP despite extreme ideological differences
- Petroleum Royalty Payment
- Hudud Law
- Purchase of a fleet of Mercedes Benz for State EXCO's usage
- The candidates themselves and "who they are aligned with" in their respective parties.
There are a few heavyweights with more to gain or lose; From UMNO : Soon to be anointed PM Najib, controversially appointed Terengganu MB & ex-Senator/Dep.Minister Wan Farid. From PAS it has to be Hadi Awang and those aligned to him like Mustafa Ali and Nasharuddin (i.e. the anti-Erdogan faction)
Gist of this by-election:-
"MORE for BN/UMNO to LOSE,
than for PR/PAS to WIN"
PS: My first exposure to a By-election was at Ketari, Pahang in 2002. Things that can happen during a by-election is so jaw-dropping that it defies logic. As mentioned earlier, the only good thing in a by-election is the wealth that is redistributed. Wealth redistribution observed:-
- a Deputy Division Head(now Division Head) from up north asking for the Burger Stall owner to finish up whatever stock he has so that he can go home early and get fresh supplies. When a Minister happen to pass by...he said, "saya menyampaikan sumbangan orang utara (I'm just delivering donation from people up north).
- Football game played for 30minutes with the local youth. The youth were later given "expensive" prizes for participating.
- an MB giving away Bicycles "sponsored" by Corporate Bodies
- land titles being issued, roads being paved etc. etc.